Shock Boot Install
Shock boots are a great way to protect your expensive shocks. They keep out unwanted dirt and dust and prolong the life of your shock seals. They also look great and can make your custom truck pop with extra color to match your color scheme. They are available in a variety of colors and sizes to fit different vehicles. We offer these boots to fit most 10th scale trucks, the HPI Baja series, Losi 5ive-T, DBXL-E & DBXL trucks and the new Traxxas X-MAXX.
The install is standard across all sizes and very simple to do. Here is a sample install on a new Losi 5ive-T truck. All shock boots install the same way.
- Remove your shocks from your vehicle and remove the springs. Its a good idea to check your shocks for leaks and any other issues at this time. Take a few minutes to check your fluid and do a rebuild if necessary.
- Take one of the shock boots from the package and slide it over one of your springs. Your package will contain 4 pcs (5th scale trucks like the HPI Baja, Losi 5ive-T or DBXL). Also the new 1/6th scale Traxxas X-MAXX). You want to try and hold the shock boot open like a sock and insert the spring into it. If you have any issues you can can hold the boot open with two hands and have a friend help by pushing the spring. Usually this is a one person install but sometimes that extra hand can save you a lot of time.
- Your spring should now be inside the shock boot like in the picture above. All our shock boots are made with a triple stitch so you can cut any large excess off if needed. We recommend that you leave at least 1/2" of material on each ond of the spring if you do decide to cut them shorter. Tuck both ends of the shock boot material inside the spring.
- Slide the spring and shock boot over your shock. Make sure to even out the spread of the shock boot along the coils of the spring. We also suggest checking the mounting position of each spring and rotating the stitch on the shock boot to the "inside". This makes for a cleaner look on our patterned shock boots as the seam is hidden.
- Install the spring cup back on your shock and repeat the process for all other shocks. Thats is. Put your shocks back on your truck and enjoy!